What Are Mnemonics?
Mnemonics are memory devices that help learners recall larger pieces of information. Many types of mnemonics exist and which type
works best is limited only by the imagination of each individual learner. Commonly encountered mnemonics are often used for lists and
in auditory form, such as short poems, acronyms, or memorable phrases, but mnemonics can also be used for other types of
information and in visual or kinesthetic forms.
- Colors of the spectrum: R – red, O – orange, Y – yellow, G – green, B – blue I – indigo, V – violet.
- Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain.
- ROY G. BIV
- Riding On Your Granny's Bike Is Vile.
- Planets (without Pluto): Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune
- My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Noodles.
- Compass directions, starting at the top and going clockwise: NESW, North, East, South, West
- Never Eat Soggy Waffles.
- Never Eat Shredded Wheat.
- Seven continents: Asia, Europe, Australia, Africa, South America, Antarctica, North America
- Always Eat An Apple, Says A Nurse!
- Musical Notes- the musical notes in the scale are: E,G,B,D,F
- Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge.
- The value of pi. (The number of letters in each word equals the numerals in pi = 3.1415927).
- May I have a large container of coffee?
- Great Lakes: Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie, Ontario. You can remember the order from west to east with the following:
- Super Man Helps Every One.
- Coordinating conjunctions (used when we join two clauses together): for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so
- Four Apes Nibbled Big Orange Yams.
- Order of Operations. In mathematical expressions, the order of operations is important. You must carry out operations in a very
specific order to solve a math problem. The order is: parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.
- Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.
- The first eight U.S. presidents: George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, John Quincy
Adams, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren.
- Will a jolly man make a jolly visitor?
- In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
- The seven articles of the United States Constitution: Legislative, Executive, Judicial, Supremacy, Amendment, Statehood, Ratification
- Large Elephants Jump Slowly And Sink Rapidly.
- Northern European countries, from West to East: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia
- Twelve sun signs: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces
- A Tense Grey Cat Lay Very Low, Sneaking Slowly, Contemplating A Pounce.
- Size of elephants in India vs Africa
- India's big, but Africa's bigger.
The same as their elephants - easy to figure!
- Series of alkanes: Methane, Ethane, Propane, Butane, Pentane, Hexane
- My Enormous Penguin Bounces Pretty High.
- Essential amino acids: Phenylanine, Valine, Threonine, Tryptophan, Isolucine, Histidine, Arginine, Leucine, Lysine
- The lifecycle of cells: Interphase, Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase, Cytokinesis
- Idiotic Penguins Make Antarctica Too Cold.
- I Pee More After Tea Consumption.
- The common functional groups: Hydroxyl, Carbonyl, Carboxyl, Amine, Sulfhydryl, Phosphate, Methyl
- Hair Care Can Always Save People Money.
- Order of Taxonomy: Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.
- Kevin’s Poor Cow Only Feels Good Sometimes.
- King Phillip Cried Out For Good Soup.
- Taxonomic Classification for Humans: Animalia, Chordata, Mammalia, Primatae, Hominidae, Homo sapiens
- All Cool Men Prefer Having Heavy Sideburns.
- Anyone Can Make Pretty Healthy Hot Stew.
- Seven deadly sins: Sloth, Lust, Anger (wrath), Pride, Envy, Greed (avarice), Gluttony